In this video, Nance discusses #holidaygatherings where you’ll be with people who:
- Disrespect and demean you
- Pretend they don’t know about your sexual preference or lifestyle choices
- Ask #inappropriatequestions about private matters
- Have strong views about #politics that are different from yours Or worse.
I’ve been in your shoes. It can be painful, stressful, and unearth past upsets you buried deep inside. That’s part of why I wrote the #DIYConflictResolution book. You’re probably not going to have time to read the complete book and do all the exercises before the holiday gathering that you fear. So, here are some quick tools you can use:
- Make The Seven Choices, so you can be the best version of yourself throughout the gathering, for as long as you stay, and regardless of who you encounter.
- Think through the scenarios that have disrupted your holiday joy in the past, and assume you might be challenged to handle them better again.
- Have an exit strategy.
As #MichelleObama said, “When they go low, we go high.” Stand firm in the highest version of yourself, and make this your happiest holiday yet.
Prefer a little more guidance?
Need one-to-one coaching?
Nance L. Schick, Esq., is a workplace attorney, ethno-religious mediator, and conflict resolution coach based in New York City. Her goal is to keep managers and small business owners out of court and build their conflict resolution skills so everyone has a better work experience. She is creator of the Third Ear Conflict Resolution process, author of DIY Conflict Resolution, and an award-winning entrepreneur acknowledged by Super Lawyers (ADR, 2018, 2019 & 2020), the New York Economic Development Corporation/B-Labs (Finalist, Best for NYC 2015 & 2016), U.S. Chamber of Commerce (2015 Blue Ribbon Small Business), Enterprising Women Magazine (Honorable Mention, 2014 Woman of the Year awards). She has also contributed to articles in Inc. Magazine, Yahoo! Finance, and NBC News and been a guest on a number of podcasts, including multiple appearances on SAP Radio’s Coffee Break with Game Changers.