- Tax, including income, payroll, and sales
- Injury to people or their property, including contract breaches, personal injury, and property damage
- Put 20-30% of each payment in a savings account to pay your taxes
- Ensure any independent contractor you hire is a true independent business owner with a contract
- Consult an accountant AND an attorney in the state(s) where you do business and have workers
- Consider a general business insurance policy and find out how home-based businesses are treated under your homeowner’s policy, if applicable
Need more small business resources?
Not sure if your workers are truly independent contractors?
Need one-to-one legal counsel?
Nance L. Schick, Esq., is a workplace attorney, ethno-religious mediator, and conflict resolution coach based in New York City. Her goal is to keep you out of court and build your conflict resolution skills so everyone has a better work experience. She helps managers and business owners have empowering conversations about emotionally-charged issues such as gender, race, religion, and disability. She is creator of the Third Ear Conflict Resolution process, author of DIY Conflict Resolution, and an award-winning entrepreneur acknowledged by Super Lawyers (ADR, 2018, 2019 & 2020), the New York Economic Development Corporation/B-Labs (Finalist, Best for NYC 2015 & 2016), U.S. Chamber of Commerce (2015 Blue Ribbon Small Business), Enterprising Women Magazine (Honorable Mention, 2014 Woman of the Year awards).