What’s the difference between coaching and counseling?
Counseling is typically led by a licensed psychotherapist, mental health counselor, or social worker and focuses on how you are feeling–often about the past. Coaching encourages you to feel and free your emotions, but our work together will focus on actions and accountability to create the future you want.
I am not licensed or qualified to provide psychotherapy. If you have been diagnosed with a mental health condition, or if you believe you have such a condition, I recommend that you consult a mental health counselor, regardless of whether you seek coaching.
Do you have a coach?
Yes. I am currently working with Dan Miller, author of 48 Days to the Work You Love and host of the 48 Days Podcast. I have also worked with John Allison, a very nice (but expensive) lady who often dosed off during our sessions, Landmark Worldwide, and Nancy Mindes–not to mention the various athletic coaches who have helped me reach personal bests over the years. I find that a coach makes it easier for me to exceed even my own expectations, which are often quite high.
I tend to keep a coach close at all times. There’s always something in my blind spots, and I seem to always find new distractions to fill any spaces I create—at least until I change my default behaviors more permanently.
Representative conflict resolution coaching matters
- Start-up co-founder requested help protecting personal rights without damaging the business or investor opportunities when explosive growth came before corporate by-laws
- Consultant asked for guidance in maintaining relationship with distant contact who was using similarly-named product
- Franchisee sought assistance saying No to renewal without triggering litigation or other aggression
- Online retailer wanted to create processes for requesting payment from “brain pickers”
- Business owner requested help managing home and work with business partner-spouse
Would you prefer to work through the process on your own for now?
You took my “spewing” and pull[ed] it down into a format that makes sense. This is SO helpful to me. You are truly gifted in bringing cohesive thoughts together while adding humor and sweet praise that is personal and meaningful. ~ C.H., Business Owner, PA
Thank you so much for your wonderful insights today. I learn so much from you…and you really are a wonderful coach. ~ N.K., Business Owner, NY
That conversation with you had me realize what I stopped doing that worked for me early in my career, and it is what I really like to do. It brought me at least five new clients and more than $33,000.00. ~ R.B., Business Owner, NY